Thursday, November 25, 2010

A broken heart on Thanksgiving

Today on my drive out to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving lunch, I was looking forward to all of the food that I would be able to eat!! All of a sudden, my heart sank. I was reminded of all the poor, starving children and adults in this world. And here I was, thinking of stuffing myself...
I felt sick.

Thanksgiving is a huge American holiday that we all use as an excuse to over eat and it be okay. This is a sickening act. My new goal and conviction for my own life, is to get away from that. Today, I prayed for the poor. I did not eat as much as I normally would, I did not stuff myself. And in the future years, I plan to serve in someway, whether that be going to a homeless shelter, or inviting someone who is not able to have a big get together with lots of food...someway, because I don't want to be selfish with the abundance of what God has blessed me with.

So each day, and each Holiday, especially Thanksgiving, allow yourself to be humbled, and to think of others and maybe even sacrifice a little.
I learned this today.

God keeps stretching my heart out for the poor.

In honor of Thanksgiving, a few things I am thankful for:
My family, friends, OTW family, Jesus dieing on the cross for me to save me, Sanctification, Grace, God's unending love, the presence of the Holy Spirit, God's unending provision (financially, spiritually, emotionally), a warm house, a comfortable bed, enough food, a working car to drive, laughter, light...

Psalm 34:1
May I always be praising you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment