Sunday, June 28, 2015

What are you looking for?

Everyday we are looking for something. Whether that is a specific individual thing, on different days, or multiple things in one day...our eyes are always searching.

We look to see if somebody saw that tear.
We look to see if anybody noticed us trip over that rock.
We look for attention.
We look for acceptance.
We look for our wallets or our phones.
We look at ourselves in the mirror to see if we  have something in our teeth or if our hair is set just right.
We look for what to wear.
We look at what other people are wearing.
We look at words written on a page or on the internet.
We look at facial expressions in reaction to things said or done.
We look for food.
...

This list could go on and on and on...I wonder if you have ever taken the time to think through all the things that your eyes take in and look at every single day...or even for an hour...what all you see and look at and for. I know I haven't. And thinking about it now, its quite overwhelming and fascinating at how much my eyes actually see...and yet it saddens me at what I truly am looking for half the time.

Because what I should be looking for, and what I want to be looking for, are glimpses of God.
I want to be looking for His love.
His beauty.
His peace.
His joy.
His grace.
His mercy.
His acceptance.
His movement.
His hands in everyday tasks.
His providence.
His way of pursueing me.
His friendship.
His forgiveness.
.... (this list could go on forever too)

For myself, and for others.
These are things that I don't look for enough, and that I don't often see on a normal basis. But I should. 99% of the time, I choose what I am looking at. What I don't often think about, is how what I am looking at effects me. What I am seeing...how it is effecting my thoughts and my emotions and my feelings and especially my relationship and intimacy with God.

I want to have purpose in my eyes, and in what I look at and am looking for every day. I want to see God more. I want to choose to see God more each hour, each minute. I want to be changed and drawn closer to God in what I am at. And in looking FOR Him, I will find Him. And there will be growth, and a change in attitude and perspective.


"'And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD and i will bring you back from your captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says the LORD, and I will bring you to the place from which I cause you to be carried away captive." Jeremiah 29:13-14













No comments:

Post a Comment