Tuesday, August 9, 2011

more about Jesus

 

We need a constant reminder that we are to die to ourselves daily.

I’ve been noticing lately how self focused we really are. I see it in reading the Old Testament. I see it in conversations with people. We always turn things to ourselves and make it about ourselves. I have also been thinking about idols of the heart, since i heard Don and Travis both speak on that topic the other week.

And it really bothers me. Why, after we know what all Christ has done and is doing and will do for us, do we seem to still make it all about ourselves….(i do realize there is sin in our lives…being the reason) but do we really try to stop ourselves when we notice we are making life and situations all about us, or do we just keep going with it?

Romans 12:1 says to give ourselves as a living sacrifice which is our reasonable act of service. and i absolutely love that. because our lives…of complete sacrfice…..us dieing to ourselves…us not living or making things about us, is REASONABLE for us to give to Christ. (and elsewhere) mention about dieing to ourselves.

2 Corinthians 4 draws us to it i believe…and its mentioned in the gospels(i think thats where), about how we need to die to ourselves daily…and take up our cross.

John 15 tells us to abide in the vine, which is Christ Himself. Are we abiding? When we are abiding…we should be consumed in Christ and not consumed with ourselves.

I don’t really know what else to say. but I just felt like sharing this. and getting it out. My prayer is that we are constantly asking God to make us aware and that we find ways to remind ourselves to stop making everything about us. and to speak with less I’s and Me’s. and with more of God and Him….

1 comment:

  1. I can't begin to say how much I agree with that, of how selfish I really am. How often do I see an opportunity to say something to others about Christ only to selfishly give up because I'm afraid of what they might think of me.

    How I spend my time speaks volumes of how selfish I've become. I have time to spare but end up filling it with meaningless waste.

    At the risk of sounding even more selfish, pray for me. Pray that I'll quit squandering my time and God-given talents on selfish pleasures and that I will find true pleasure in serving others as Jesus did.

    ReplyDelete