Thursday, February 10, 2011

Walking with People

What does it mean to walk with someone? I don’t mean physically…cause that’s too easy to answer. But I mean in the Christian walk.

I have been thinking this week about where my role is in discipleship. Because honestly, I don’t have words to say very often, I don’t how to respond a lot…etc. But recently I just feel like God is telling me to just walk beside and to walk with the people He has brought into my life.

When I think of walking beside people, my mind goes to the 23rd Psalm.

A psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
   for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk
   through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
   forever.

 

To me, what I feel is the best way to walk with and beside someone in discipleship,and in life with relationships; is to just be there. to listen. to speak when you know you need to speak. to be honest. to laugh with them. to cry with them. to let them know you care and are there. to PRAY for them and with them. to share your story, your life with them. to challenge them. to go on the same eating plan as them so they are not alone….

It is the little things that matter.

I am one who at times will question whether I am really making a difference, or am really helping someone or am even really being there for them, being a friend…but one thing that I am constantly being reminded of…even when I don’t have words to say or don’t have a clue of how to help someone my heart cares for, PRAYER is enough. BEING there is enough. LISTENING is enough. because I know that, that is and has been enough for me. and I know that God can and will use anything, anyway, and anyone. We just need to TRUST in HIS POWER, and HIS WISDOM, and HIS COMFORT…

No comments:

Post a Comment